Yesterday we talk about the topic ‘ Promote Your Website to the World for FREE ‘, and you might want to ask, beside the method we are telling you, how about the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) ?
What is SEO ?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site or a web page (such as a blog) from search engines via “natural” or un-paid (“organic” or “algorithmic”) search results as opposed to other forms of search engine marketing (“SEM”) which may deal with paid inclusion. The theory is that the earlier (or higher) a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine.
What is Page Rank (PR) ?
PageRank is a link analysis algorithm, named after Larry Page, used by the Google that assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents, such as the World Wide Web, with the purpose of “measuring” its relative importance within the set. The algorithm may be applied to any collection of entities with reciprocal quotations and references.
PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page’s value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves “important” weigh more heavily and help to make other pages “important”.
What is BackLinks ?
Backlinks are incoming links to a website or web page. Inbound links were originally important (prior to the emergence of search engines) as a primary means of web navigation; today their significance lies in search engine optimization (SEO). The number of backlinks is one indication of the popularity or importance of that website or page (though other measures, such as PageRank, are also considered to be important). Outside of SEO, the backlinks of a webpage may be of significant personal, cultural or semantic interest: they indicate who is paying attention to that page.
In basic link terminology, a backlink is any link received by a web node (web page, directory, website, or top level domain) from another web node. Backlinks are also known as incoming links, inbound links, inlinks, and inward links.
Now return to topic, should you care this Search Engine Optimization (SEO) so much ?
In our opinion, you shouldn’t care it so much. Why? In our experience, we did only basic SEO which unlike other webmaster put all their effort on SEO marketing, and we do receive good traffics from Search Engine.
For example, when you search ‘Malaysia Postpaid‘ on Google, we (RMvalues) rank No.5 on first page of Google.com.my search result (today statistic). And we do nothing to get this good result other than update our blog daily and try to keep our information up to date.
What are the basic SEO you MUST done, or at least you SHOULD do some of them ?
- Page Title – Every page title should be unique, brief, concise, and convey exactly what the material is about.
- Page Description – A brief summary of the web page that should contain the major keywords and phrases of the web page content.
- Keywords – Carefully select 6-10 keywords which can describe your page content the most.
- Choose the relevant heading (in HTML <H1> or <H2> tag format) can help the search engine spider to understand more your page.
- Tag the Images – Remember to utilize the ‘alt=’ tag in image link, this can help the search engine to know what image you placed on your page.
- Easy to understand content – Make your page content easy to be understood, for example primary school level pupils can understand is better than need secondary or university level to understand what you talk in your page.
- Place the links of the relevant topics on page – This can increase the internal page link and also can help the visitors to quickly find out the relevant topics and stay longer on your site.
- Average 400 to 800 words is enough for your page, if you want to talk more, try to separate into 2 or more pages. Too long page will decrease the will of readers to focus and finish your topic.
Do not create the doorway page or several pages with same contents but different title, description and keywords, this will not help your SEO but will lead your site to be penalty and blacklisted by Search Engine and your site will not longer appear in search engine traffic.
Remember, keep updating your content regularly is far better than put all of your efforts on SEO, PR etc. Your visitors will definitely recommend your site to others if they found your content is really interesting and attracting.
Best of Luck!